Monday, September 16, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Weekend Playlist Podcast

Montreal Weekend Playlist 09/13-09/19

Posted by MP / September 13, 2006

This week's action-packed podcast is located here, and should be listened to only when wearing a helmet and proper padding. This is the 13th edition of the podcast, hosted, as mostly usual, by the cuddly Jeremy Morris.

Tonight (Wednesday), Magnolia Electric Co. will be repairing the lights at Sala Rossa and also probably playing music. Opening for them: Sheerwater and the always excellent Julie Doiron.

On Thursday, choose between (a) a rocktastic all-local MiMi-related showcase thing at Les Saints featuring Dirty Tricks, Psychotic 4, Le Nombre and the Besnard Lakes, which sounds vaguely battle-of-the-bands in format, and (b) equally local Plants & Animals ... oh wait, I read on their site now that it has been cancelled. "Busted ankle" is given as a reason. Well, that makes things easier. Updated: OK, there's a choice again. We missed the Zoobizarre one-year birthday shows, somehow, which this night include Sixtoo, Ghislain Poirier, Omnikrom, Numero and Donzelle (ex-Famulous).

On Friday, yes, Mates of State will headline what can only be described as a concert where pop music acts will play their songs live. Joining them at Main Hall are Starlight Mints and locals Hexes and Ohs, whom, we've noted previously, we love. Elsewhere, Michel F. Côté, Martin Tétreault and Thames play the Weekend in Les Pines in Griffintown, and singery-songwritery Teitur is at Cabaret Music Hall with Tina Dico. Sweet Jesus, also, Rock Plaza Central play with delightful locals Orillia Opry and As The Poets Affirm at Casa Del Popolo.

On Saturday, LABprojects returns to O Patro Vys for its 30th improv jam, this time featuring the Objects, Stef Schneider (Bell Orchestre), Mark Nelson, Leon Kingstone (Synthetic Folk Hero), Sage Reynolds, Ryhna Thompson and VJ Ouananiche. The Weekend at Les Pines continues with Growing and Tim Hecker. T-Dot dance-rock outfit Controller.Controller (who offend my sense of punctuation, I note) are at Club Lambi with You Say Party We Say Die! (exclamation point theirs). Locals Statue Park are at Main Hall with Vitaminsforyou. Updated: the Zoobizarre birthday continues with Aids Wolf, Metalian and Cobra Noir.

Sundays are great for poorly-kept secrets, so here's one: Montreal scratch DJ Kid Koala will play Piknic Electronik at Parc Jean Drapeau in honour of his new back-to-the-old-school release, Your Mom's Favourite DJ. Also at the picnic: Ghislain Poirier, Ghostbeard, Luv, and the Ninja Tune garage sale, where various things of the vinyl, poster and other persuasion will be sold cheap-like.

Hey, guess what? Metric front-gal Emily Haines also has a solo record, because the rule is that everyone in Broken Social Scene must release their own album or the evildoers will win, and she's playing Le National on Monday.

On Tuesday, it gets slightly weirder (than usual) at the Green Room, when Dengue Fever (the band, not the disease ... I hope) and Asobi Seksu show up. And it gets all anti-establishment and seditious at Stade Uniprix when the young punks in Bad Religion and Dropkick Murphys stick it to the man and stand up for youth, along with Comeback Kid and Clit 45.

The Montreal weekend playlist:

Atmosphere - Trying to Find a Balance
Asobi Seksu- I'm Happy but You Don't Like Me
Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton - Doctor Blind
Dropkick Murphys - The Auld Triangle
Bad Religion - All There Is

Christy / September 15, 2006 at 07:47 am
I'm curious why you didn't put in Nouvelle Vague, since I'm thinking of going to see them tonight. Is it because you saw a previous show and it wasn't so good? Or because their new album doesn't live up to the last? Oh, I want it to be good so bad!
J Mac / September 15, 2006 at 08:53 am
I've never seen them actually. My reasons are ... earlier this week I had a conversation about whether or not their whole thing is a schtick or not. I believe one person's quote was "oooh, clever, bossa nova covers." I'm not totally decided on that question, but there's enough other good Friday stuff that I just avoided it altogether. Victory!
Christy / September 15, 2006 at 09:20 am
I hear you--it sounds like a gimmick: green French kids singing New Wave songs they've never heard before to a bossa nova beat. But the result, in my opinion, is terribly charming, if not plain sexy. I'm hoping the show will be as well, but they may be too self-conscious at this point.

Tell you what, maybe I'll go and report back, if no one else is gonna...
Jer / September 15, 2006 at 11:03 am
I almost included the Nouvelle Vague show because I also really dig the Submarines, who were opening. But the submarines are a lot like Mates of State and in the end there was just so many damn pix. Someone had to lose out.

So...how was the sho?
J Mac / September 15, 2006 at 11:06 am
(I think it's tonight...)
Jer / September 15, 2006 at 11:34 am
Sorry. I was posting in future past tense.
You know the one. The tense that assumes Christy won't read this until tomorrow (future) and the concert will have already happened (past). Future past tense.
Kataoka / February 4, 2015 at 03:33 am
January 19, 2012Hello Dr Acha,Despite the poor internet cctneotiviny here in Cameroon, I could get the quality articulations and professional expressions of the Brain God has been using to serve the orphans in a special way. Kenneth have you been a journalist before or have u undergone some professional course in Communications? The version 001 which is supposed to be a trial version comes out as a masterpiece. Congrats man. I think we need a pool of contributors from all over the whole and I can again assure you the cctneotiviny here is up to the task in this project. Don't base your needs in the Philippines like we discussed but Cameroon can be of high value. I can assure you.This is a wonderful piece of God's abundance grace and favour to an orphan that you were and your experiences and successes are turning out to be a great source of inspiration and motivation for a lot of people far below your imagination. I have always told God to use me as a Vessel to reach others especially the underprivileged and when I see the evolution of SD and the efforts the founders are putting in to see her vision come true, I am overwhelmed with the vision of SD Keep the ball rolling we are into it wholeheartedly.We anxiously await other versions. Congrats to the SD Community for this innovation. Let's start thinking of how to get to children that are deaf and those with impaired speeches that do not have the privilege to go to their type of school too. My experience with such has been challenging.By God's grace we shall expand and get there.Thank God for SD.Courage!!
auto insurance quotes Colorado / April 1, 2015 at 08:26 am
It is important, subsequently, so that any kind of untrusted subject material this forms portion of a web site possibly be published about the varied beginnings as opposed to any very sensitive articles and other content concerning in which web page. Untrusted articles in many cases can spoof other internet page on a single foundation, look at statistics as a result of which source, bring about scripts in this particular origin that will conduct, send creates to help in addition to because of in which decent even when they’re secure right from cross-site question forgery problems by specific tokens, plus utilise all third-party sources already familiar with or liberties the usage of compared to that starting point
auto insurance quotes MO / April 1, 2015 at 08:46 am
Nov07Ciara Oh dear God. That brings back memories. I too have been the victim of ‘friends’ listening-in on conversations (twice, and the fall-out was AWFUL) Sleepover invites unceremoniously revoked at the last minute, a best friend kissing my ex-boyfriend at lunchtime, when I couldn’t understand why he didn’t like me anymore (neither could she – AMAZING!!) And I’m still raging over it all. I’m sure they’re all grown up now and miles more mature but I can never look at these people, who I still bump into from time to time, the same way again. Girls at that age – especially the ones closest to you, can be deadly.
Aleida / November 12, 2016 at 07:54 am
fantastic issues altogether, you simply won a logo new reader.

What would you suggest about your put up that you simply made a few
days ago? Any certain?
photo taken / November 22, 2016 at 01:03 pm
What's up, its fastidious article on the topic of media print, we all know media is a impressive
source of data.
ziggo internet snelheid test / June 16, 2018 at 12:55 am
Doctor to today, when there is a surfeit of anti aging abrade minded products like ylkil.cremegoji.nl/hulp-van-de-dokter/ziggo-internet-snelheid-test.html creams, serums, gels and powders that all provoke b request to be this well-head of youth. Some place tone.gojimasker.nl/informatie/ares-rapper.html their anti aging obeahism advise of ingredients that oblige a ton of thorough on study into into imman.gojigezicht.nl/hoe-te-solliciteren/acai-poeder-ah.html and appreciation on how lamina ages to bankroll b verso them up and some are pasteurized hype.
golu dolls / March 26, 2019 at 01:02 am