Monday, September 23, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Weekend Playlist Podcast

Montreal Weekend Playlist 22/02-26/02 [Podcast]

Posted by John / February 22, 2007

The Weekend Playlist enters its 30s boldly, confidently, and unperturbed by its quickly aging, irrelevant self. Jeremy Morris and I are in the house for this one, although I pretty much just chime in with bad gags like a fifth-rate Andy Richter.

Podcast | Get the podcast here.
iTunes | Add the Weekend Playlist Podcast to iTunes.
RSS | Add the Weekend Playlist Podcast feed to your RSS Reader.
Search | Search the audio on Podzinger.

Tonight (Thursday), The Big Sleep, Receivers and Jade McNelis play Zoobizarre, while Casa del Popolo hosts a who's who of eclectic Canadian singer-songwriters: Bob Wiseman, Geoff Berner and Great Aunt Ida.

On Friday, check out the Lickety Split #4 smut zine launch! at Club Lambi with Trancelvania, Flames! and Lil' Pip + Dead Doll Dancers plus the first ever Daughters of Joy! Film and Video Festival (whatever that is--this comes straight from a listing, although I can vouch for the smuttiness of the zine itself). $7 includes copy of the zine.
Over at Barfly, JP Houston and the Secret 3 play with Malcolm Bauld and Freelove Fenner. Demon's Claws launch their new record at Sala, and Friendship Cove has something going down that I'm even going to try to decipher except to say that it sounds pretty involved: Sounds by: John Farah, Swassum, Keytar, Menstrual Fisting, Simon, Kosmos Moskos and visuals by: Félix Morel, O Chatté, Kapugen, Scott from New Zealand, Gigi, Gmackrr.

On Saturday, Torngat play at The Bread Factory, while the Epitaph tour, featuring The Matches, I Am Ghost, The Higher and Vanna is at Club Lambi. The Higher? Man, those guys are so high.

Oh yeah, also, Sparklehorse and Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafterare at Club Soda, while The Marigolds and Amanda Mabro play the Green Room.

On Sunday, we've got a breast cancer benefit withThe Coloured Lights, Code Pie and the very busy Amanda Mabro at Sofa.

The Weekend Playlist:

The Big Sleep - Murder
Great Aunt Ida - Corners
Geoff Berner - Don't Play Cards for Money with Corby Lund
JP Houston - That's Gold
Freelove Fenner - Bird in the Hand
Jesse Sykes - LLL
Torngat - La Rouge (b side)
The Matches - Dog Eared Page
I Am Ghost - Our Friend Lazarus Sleeps
Code Pie - Little Bamboo
The Coloured Lights - Sunkiss

scott / February 22, 2007 at 06:10 pm
oh man. the 30s are WAY better than the 20s. congrats, weirdoes.
great aunt ida is pretty stuff. and john, give yrself some credit. you are at least a third rate andy richter.
J Mac / February 23, 2007 at 11:18 am
Scott, you are too kind. Lots more Great Aunt Ida is available on her Myspace page, if I'm not mistaken.
Cait / February 23, 2007 at 01:11 pm
On the podcast, I misheard "'Code Pie', a six piece band..." as Six Piece Pie. So I think I'm going to have to call my band that.
J Mac / February 23, 2007 at 01:36 pm
Otherwise, might I suggest "The Mittens"?
t-bone / February 23, 2007 at 03:11 pm
I have a group of friends that routinely use the expression "ghost". Never referring to themselves, but with respect to someone else who just leaves without saying goodbye to anyone. As in..."Did Lanny ghost?" Incidentally, my buddy Loc ghosts ALL the time.
Jer / February 23, 2007 at 04:08 pm
I wonder if ghost could also be a verb, as in to scare someone. Ex: I didn't see you hiding in my bed, you totally ghosted me.
toblerone / February 23, 2007 at 04:16 pm
HAHAHAHA!!!! Jer is afraid of ghosts!!!
cat / February 23, 2007 at 04:34 pm
Hey, I really like Mittens! No "The", as they point out on their myspace page. So I guess "The Mittens" may still be up for grabs. But you should check out Mittens.
www.myspace.com/mittens
www.mittensmusic.com

And thanks for the Great Aunt Ida. Some fine, fine shows on the bill. Sadly, I'm gonna ghost town this weekend. (Improper use of "to ghost"?)
J Mac / February 23, 2007 at 06:27 pm
Cat, the proper usage in that instance would be "Sadly, I'm ghost this weekend."

As far as The Mittens go, yes, my Google scholarship has revealed numerous bands with that title (or an article-free variation) already. However, until one of them makes it big, I say it's a free-for-all. The first The Mittens to sign a million-dollar record deal will then have the cash to sue the shit out of all the other The Mittenses. Therefore: the name is still up for grabs, I officially declare.
J Mac / February 23, 2007 at 06:36 pm
Oh yeah, we really should have spent some more time discussing "Menstrual Fisting" on the podcast or at least in this post. In case it isn't obvious, that's the band name of the week. If they're a band.
rrrobyn / February 25, 2007 at 06:02 am