Monday, January 20, 2020Light Snow -5°C
Weekend Playlist Podcast

The Midnight Poutine Podcast - Oct. 20 - 26, 2010

Posted by Jer / October 20, 2010

Local NativesThe leaves are falling. Fast. It's pretty but scary. Not like Halloween scary. More like, schnap, winter is coming soon scary. Oh well. We try an enjoy the sun while it lasts on this week's podcast. Join Amie, Greg and Jer as they bring order to the jam-packed chaos of this weekend's music listings.

Podcast | Get the podcast here.
iTunes | Add the Weekend Playlist Podcast to iTunes.
RSS | Add the Weekend Playlist Podcast feed to your RSS Reader.
Search | Search the audio on Podzinger.

It's the most autumnal edition yet of the Midnight Poutine Podcast:

Obsesion - Untitled
Invincible - Detroit Summer
Polydactyl Hearts - Factory
Megan Bonnell - The Wind
Jason Collett - Bitter Beauty
Dan Mangan & Sane Koyczan - Tragic Turn of Events - Move Pen Move

photo of local natives sprucing up the hardwood floor taken by flickr user Gone-Walkabout and provided here under a generously permissive creative commons license.

Maybe Lately / October 21, 2010 at 01:51 am
hello midnight poutine people! my name is not actually maybe lately, but i thought it only appropriate to use since i took it from miracle fortress' lovely song.
i've just recently started listening to your podcast, and it filled the void that had opened up after andrew rose became a father and could no longer treat the pop montreal podcast as his baby. this was roughly two years ago, and since then i've wandered through various music blogs trying to get enough music in one hit to last me through the day, but sadly even a day's worth of scouring could prove fruitless. as reliable as updated podcasts can be, nothing could replace the miracle of the pop montreal podcast that introduced a california kid like me to sunset rubdown, patrick watson, hi lo trons, nethers, akron/family, the fiery furnaces, black moth super rainbow, sharon jones & the dap kings, pawa up first, wolf parade, think about life, and of course miracle fortress.
so, i was giddy to find a podcast like yours filled with the idiosyncratic sounds of which i had been deprived. i know what you do cannot be easy or pay well, but you do such a good service towards people like me who simply want to hear something new, even just to try it once. you do it all without sounding snobby or proud; it comes from your genuine dedication to sharing good music with others.
THANK YOU FOR MAKING THE WORLD SOUND BETTER!
once i get the time to, i would love to visit montreal and the surrounding area just crashing all the concerts i can afford. and eating an unholy amount of poutine.
BIG HUG.
WOW THANK YOU / October 21, 2010 at 09:27 am
Hello maybe lately. My name isn't actually WOW THANK YOU, but since that's how your comment made me feel, that's how I thought I'd kick it off.

It's Jer. I've been doing this podcast since 2006 and although I've received a lot of nice emails over the years from people all over the place who have found our little show, I think this is probably the nicest public comment left on the site. And I can't tell you how much it means to me, and to the rest of the folks who have previously hosted and currently host this show.

I found Andrew's podcast shortly after moving here. I too am sad he stopped/got too busy with a super cool label that signs awesome bands to record his own shows. I think the impetus behind our playlist is similar though....show off some of MTL's greatest talents and some of the other interesting sounds passing through town.

You're right. What we do doesn't pay well (at all, actually). We do it because we enjoy it. And we enjoy it because every once in a while, someone says something like what you did. If you ever get to MTL, let us know. We'll make sure you're well-musicked and well-poutined.

Thanks for listening.

(p.s. if you're comment was just an elaborate ploy that will eventually link me to some online viagara ad, well, it's still very nice of you).
Team Poutine / October 24, 2010 at 05:14 pm
Our name isn't actually Team Poutine, but we speak in the collective so we figured it's cool.

Echoing Jer, it's awesome to know that people from not-Montreal are listening to our little old show and enjoying it enough to use no fewer than three exclamation points and an entire sentence of CAPITAL LETTERS! Music is what makes the world go 'round, and we're glad to pipe more of it into your ears.

So thank you again, Maybe Lately, and wow, are we flattered.

P.S. It should be noted that Jer is also a father (to twin babies who collude not to sleep at the same time and a slightly older son with perfect pitch), which makes his continuation of the podcast pretty badass.
Maybe Lately / November 1, 2010 at 07:13 pm
*i've listened to the newest podcast twice already, which shows how belated my reply here is, but i owe everyone on the midnight poutine team another round of applause.
*APPLAUSE* haha.
again, i want to thank all the people who contribute to the podcast and the website, shining light on often overlooked topics such as oysters, luc's top halloween outfit, greg's laugh, jer's french, and damn good local music.
free music and information come all too easily on the internet, and team poutine deserves more love and attention, if not money, for what it gives. i also agree that jer's commitment to the podcast while being a dad is badass.
thank you, thank you!
Yashwanth / February 5, 2015 at 04:05 am
Really good information. Beliefs, as I lenared in my NLP Master training are a coping mechanism to get us through whatever life throws at us. Beliefs are NOT truth. If more people believed this, the world would be a better place, I think. Good job! I hope everyone who needs to hear your words, do.My only nitpicker about the podcast is the sound quality. It sounds like it's being broadcast from inside Gepetto's Whale. I wonder if this is just something in my system, although I have a good sound system, or if everyone heard it this way.
golu dolls / January 22, 2019 at 01:31 am